Sunday, March 26, 2006
weather update for March 29, itinerary for March 30
Low-pressure area, causing the cloud-cover
uh-oh.., pessimistic weather prediction for Wed (Mar 29), eclipse-day
A more optimistic weather prediction (Univ of Athens/Greece)..some hope.
A corresponding optimistic weather forecast, corresponding to above
We visited the (only) hotel in Sallum, & discovered Dr. Serge Koutchmy had been in on Fri (March 24) inquiring about a place to store his telescope equipment. He is staying in Sidi Barani. As I was leaving, I was called over by a person (teacher of Arabic) who gave me directions to the high-school where Dr. Koutchmy will be observing eclipse. We plan to visit tomorrow, to exchange information/strategy on eclipse.
We had extensive discussion on itinerary for Monday (March 27):
- military presence on border, rules out any 4x4'ing recon missions near Libya/Egypt border (south of Sallum)
- trying for various places south of Sallum: last house, at base of "cliff" (Libyan Plateau)
- south & southwest of Bugbuq
- two hills in southern Sallum
- scientist-area on Libyan Plateau west of Sallum